The longer that I teach where I am, the more I am bombarded with the reality of how some kids live every day in such dire circumstances. My kids are truly needy and honestly cry out for attention (positive or negative) from ANYONE. Each day, I witness another act or disruption that proves to me that there are kids who REALLY need someone who cares. I fight my emotions so much on this one. My job is quite a drive from my home. However, I feel so needed and appreciated by the kids that I teach (NOT the staff by ANY means)...Where I live, the kids are the opposite. I just do not think that I would reap the same benefits in a school full of well-to-do kids. That might sound harsh, but I like "making a difference." That is just me and who I am. Kids are important to me and I like to think that I am having a positive impact on the future and where it will go for some kids.
So, as you are hugging and kissing your well-nourished, well-loved, and well-clothed children, think of my students. Say a small prayer for them and those of us who take on the privilege of guiding them day after day and then sending them off into the world. I just wish for success, and happiness for them all. Hopefully, we are arming them with the skills and tools that they need to achieve that exact thing!
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Can I just say *again* what an awesome woman I think you are??? I have always had the utmost admiration for teachers, and especially those who work with kids who have challenges. I have a large family and I teach them at home and I can honestly say I have very little desire to teach or mentor anyone else's children. That is why I've always stood in awe of those who can raise & guide their own children, while making a great impact on others', at the same time.
And, yes, I do pray for you! :)
Jenn, you are the best!! Making a difference is a wonderful thing!! I applaud you!! I felt the same way when I volunteered for the fire dept. for 8 years. Saying a prayer for you & your school kids....
When I feel down on life, I often think of those who have it less fortunate than me. Having friends and family that love you is worth far more than the trappings of the world. Thank you for reminding me of that. Also thank you for being one of those who is trying to make a difference. (((HUGS)))
I know exactly what you mean. I returned to Chancellor the other day to see everyone...that was surreal, too - BTW! I miss the kids...I stopped into the gym to visit with Ryan and the 2nd graders were in there playing. Man, do I miss them! They were having such a great time. I am thinking that maybe it is time to return to a school setting. Props to you for where you teach because it is not a pretty place to begin with, but you do make a difference...EVERYDAY! You are a great teacher and great mentor.
Way to go Jenn! Few people in this world can say their full time jobs are rewarding.
Post a Comment