Monday, January 21, 2008

MLK Day and My Soapbox...

I have no issues with MLK. Really, I do think that MLK did so much for the civil rights movement and our country would not be the same without him and his actions. That said, I have such an issue with the district that I work for and MLK vs. President's Day. My district has a high percentage of African American and Hispanic students. We strive to break the race issues with these kids and teach them equality and that everyone is equal and should have the same opportunities. However, we do not model that for them. In the past few years, we have moved from celebrating MLK AND President's Day to completely dropping PD. The kids learn about MLK and have the day off for remembrance. For PD, nothing. Few teachers discuss it and we do not get off. I just wonder what kind of message we are sending to the kids. MLK was important and worth honoring, but the men who ruled our country are not? Distresses me and worries me in regards to the future and what Americans will hold dear...Frustration

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, interesting... I have no idea what my district does, as I homeschool and pay very little attention to the public school policies. I know that in the district we were in before I began homeschooling (prior to 2001 and we have since moved), both holidays were observed.

All I can say is that one of the reasons I homeschool is to have the freedom to teach my children what my hubby & I believe is most important. You not only have that same ability to impress upon *your* children the ideals & values you hold dear -- you also are in a unique position as a teacher to be able to impart those things to your students, as well.

I think that's a remarkable opportunity you have there! :)

Aimee said...

AMEN!! I couldn't agree with you more!! ;o)

t said...

I agree with you Jenn. I am having to work BOTH MLK and PD, so it's a double whammy. But I see your point and perhaps you can do something special for the kids on PD.