Sunday, January 13, 2008

"My cup runneth over"

Just one of those moments for me today. As a family, we piled into the van and headed to the Shrine visitor day for the East West Shrine Game. Last year, they decided to move the game to Texas and it was great fun. So, everyone wanted to go and we headed out.

Such a tear-jerker, thought-provoking situation for me. In my experiences in life, I come across very few people who are willing to REALLY give of themselves. It is sad, but it is true. Too many people get caught up in the every day and their wants/needs to even consider thinking about others. Don't get me wrong, I have come across people that I will never forget and their kindness and generosity towards either myself or my children will engrain in my memory forever. However, I have also come across so many people who come up with false assumptions and ideas in regards to my special needs children and WHO they are. My heart breaks every time someone assumes that my son is retarded just because he is in a wheelchair or that my daughter is not worthy of speaking to because she has been labeled autistic. It is often too much to take.

Today, I saw something more. I witnessed the selfless behavior of many young men who are at the prime of their lives. These guys were from colleges all over the country and were there today for one purpose: To get to know the kids that come to the Shrine hospitals. Get to know them they did! They were playing catch, dancing, karaoke'ng, competing in wheelchairs in wheelchair basketball, creating arts and crafts, taking pictures, eating pizza, and just "hanging out." For the first time in a LONG time, my heart smiled. It was the greatest thing that I have ever seen and just renewed my faith in mankind. These men did more for these kids by just being there then they will ever know.

We left after 3 hours with full bellies, free t-shirts, free caps, numerous goodies, tickets for next week's game and the excitement that we will be able to cheer on these "cool guys" as Tobey stated so nicely...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That brings me such a smile at the end of my day! So glad that you & your kiddos had that special time.

Also wanted to say how much I am enjoying your blog, Jenn. I've really begun to look forward to checking in here for a few minutes each day! :) :) :)

Aimee said...

Very touching Jenn! I bet your kids had a wonderful time!! Tanks for the smile. :o)