Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day 2: Johnson Space Center (Space Center Houston)

I have to say that I have always had a love for NASA and the whole program. Call me childish, but the idea of going into the unknown weightless and free to explore intrigues me...I do not have the mathematical or scientific brain that is required for such a career, but that has never kept me from dreaming. My Tylor seems to also have that love. He has since he was little. Taylar is happy to go and Tobey really enjoys it, but Tylor has that look in his eye. That clear wonder of the beauty of space. I love it....

After Tobey and Tylor had their teeth cleaned (and NO cavities, Thank You God!), we packed up the gang and drove the 1 hour drive that it takes to reach the Johnson Space Center. Tylor had to remind me on the way down that we would be at the REAL mission control and that is "so cool since there is a crew up there RIGHT NOW!" I just smiled in awe of this great kid who is so full of wonder and excitement. He was truly excited just to go even though we have been several times before...We spent the drive speaking of all of the missions and he was very concerned about the Apollo 1, Challenger and Colombia disasters. We talked about that risk that those brave people take and he did agree that the program SHOULD go on or their deaths would be "for nothing."

We arrived and packed in with about a million other people. We spent our day looking at exhibits, listening to former astronauts, tasting space food, sitting in a REAL cockpit, doing a mach landing of a shuttle, dancing to music, and even catching a "High School Musical" show. I was quite surprised at the end of a lecture at the "old" mission control. It was given by a former astronaut who is now retired and working at the Space Center as a guide. Tylor walked up to him and put his hand out and said "thank you." Might not be much, but to me it was huge. My son saw the importance in this man and his experiences. The man looked at Tylor a bit teary-eyed and said a simple "your welcome son." The moments that just seem to take your breath away...You never know when they will come. When they do, you are sure glad that you did not miss it!

Just a few pics from our day:







Landing a shuttle...



Taylar's idea of fun!



The whole gang at the Amazon exhibit...



"Old" Mission Control







The size of this rocket was just amazing to us!






My sight at the end of our day....



4 comments:

Twin Mommy said...

Another great day! How cool is that! I love that you are doing this with your kids each day. If it were me we'd probably hang out at the house all week.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that y'all are enjoying some special times together ~ I can just see the healing on T, T, & T's faces! :) That makes me feel SO good! You are a wonderful mom, truly a unique and special woman, who would give up her own vacation time for her children's enjoyment & enrichment.

((( HUGS ))) Thinking of you tonight!

t said...

Jenn, they are so lucky to have you as a mom! Looks like they had the time of their lives. Are you on spring break? What a fun thing to do. Okay, now I HAVE to get down to Houston while my kids are small so they can go there!

Aimee said...

You rock Jenn! I think it is so wonderful that you have all these activities planned out for your kids! I really admire you Jenn! You definitely deserve the mother of the year award! *hugs* Enjoy the rest of your Spring break!! ;o)